Sunday, September 10, 2017

 

Blogging Responsibly

I have been meaning to blog for a while now and have been drafting a few things on paper in the last year that never quite made it to the screen.

There are several reasons for this. One thing that has been preventing me is the notion of responsibility about what I am putting ‘out there’.

My thinking goes thus:

If I have been taught to take responsibility for my actions in other aspects of my life, then why should it be less important whilst blogging? 

If we fail to take responsibility in certain aspects of our life, we see their consequences. Ultimately we make ourselves suffer (and sometimes others too). The dangers of being irresponsible are clear to ourselves (and others).


It has taken months of reflection and consideration.

I would like to think that I am a responsible individual who owns my statements and sentences.

I would like to think that I have some awareness of the concept of responsibility from my faith.

I would like to think that I have understanding (even a tiny bit) about responsibility from my readings of the Prophet’s life.

I would like to think that my parents brought me up to be a responsible person.


I would like to believe that the years of professional training sessions I have attended have had some impact on me as an individual.

I would like to hope that the company of inspirational people; teachers, friends and family has lead me to believe that I can blog responsibly.

These sound like affirmations – and maybe they are?


We are living in an increasingly critical world where you can become the subject of someone’s disapproval in an instant. At the same time, it is so important that Muslims continue to blog about their line of thinking. We are a very diverse community and should celebrate this through our writing, not hide it away. But let’s do it in a responsible manner please. Our words have consequences. 

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?